The folks at Mothers know a thing or two about surface care and each year at SEMA they scope out the thousands of cars there looking for the best finish. This year's winners were just announced and we thought you'd like to hear all of the Fords that placed. Check out the list in today's blog and hit the links for more details and photos.
In what has become a car builder’s highest honor at the aftermarket industry event of the year, hundreds of exceptional rides were considered for the 10th annual Mothers® Shine Award. Held at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas, NV, the Shine Award honors uncompromising excellence in vehicle design. The winner is decided upon by an international panel of respected members of the automotive industry, including journalists, seasoned hobbyists and past winners. Judging is based on overall appearance, fit and finish, attention to detail, integration of custom and stock elements, creative vision and execution of concept.
Hosting the ceremony this year were aftermarket industry veterans Joe Sebergandio and Will Handzel, and they presented the 2010 Shine Award to: 1970 Mustang Mach 1 “Dragon.” Owned by Jayne Roorda and Jack Alex Stoner of Chandler, AZ, and built by Ringbrothers in Spring Green, WI. Drivetrain is a Roush 427 IR crate motor mated to a Tremec 5-speed transmission. Suspension is Detroit Speed QUADRAlink in the rear and JME Enterprises in the front. Virtually every panel was modified or massaged, it also features Forgeline 3-piece wheels, Flowmaster mufflers, Royal Purple fluids, carbon fiber deck lid and custom billet throughout. Paint is BASF Glasurit in Dragon Blood and Castle Grey, and interior is by Upholstery Unlimited. See more of their creations at ringbrothers.com.
Other Mothers Choice awards were given to the following Fords at SEMA:
1939 Ford “GT” Custom - Owned by Cindy Warn of Wilsonville, OR and built by Tim Divers of Divers Street Rods in Startup, WA. Paint is PPG on an all-steel Ford body. Drivetrain is a Ford GT 5.4-liter supercharged V8 mated to a Ford 4R100 4-speed automatic transmission and 9-inch Ford rear with a Strange Engineering center section. Chassis is a modified Morrison, and also features Wilwood brakes and one-off Schot wheels. Build time was 3-1/2 years, and it was originally built for the same customer 20 years ago and is now a 21st century rebuild using only 20% of the original car with the remaining 80% hand made. www.diversstreetrods.com
1967 Ford Mustang - Owned and built by Joe Brown of Hot Rod Joe’s in Lafayette, LA. Powertrain is a 4.6-liter Supercharged Ford Mustang SVT Cobra V8 mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox and Ford 9-inch rear end. Independent suspension and 3-inch exhaust are wrapped in a fully-fabricated tube chassis. The hand-fabricated underbody and wheel openings are complemented with a custom grille, hood, intercooler. Interior features a touch screen audio/visual system and stamped stainless steel speaker covers. Paint is butternut pearl and trim is brushed nickel. Build time was 3 years. www.hotrodjoes.net
1969 Ford Mustang - Owned by Matt Lazich of Anvil Carbon Fiber Products, El Segundo, CA and built by Steve Strope’s Pure Vision in Simi Valley, CA. Paint is 2011 Range Rover Alaska White by PPG and laid by Mick Jenkens of Mick’s Paint in Pomona, CA. Drivetrain is a John Kaase 520 cubic-inch “Boss 9” all-aluminum 429 making 805-horsepower on pump gas. Transmission is a 5-speed Tremec from a modern driveline and a Kevlar clutch. The owner found the car online two miles from his shop. It was built as a marketing tool for his carbon fiber business and integrates many carbon fiber features. Build time was one year. www.anvilauto.com
A full background on the Mothers® Shine Award is available online at www.shineaward.com. Mothers® is known worldwide for its premium-grade polishes, waxes and cleaners and offers a borad array of finish care products under its California Gold®, FX, Reflections®, PowerBall, Marine and Professional lines. Go to www.mothers.com for information on all these products, along with a host of car-care tips in the online Mothers® Detail Guide at www.detailguide.com and the Wax Forum at www.waxforum.com.